While transporting an ice beverage machine to the shop for repairs, a technician suffered a brief back pain while lifting the machine from the service vehicle to the work area. The machine is very heavy and bulky, very awkward for one person to lift properly. The machine was in the side entrance to the service vehicle when the technician reached in singlehandedly and lifted it out then spun around to place it on the service bench. The angle in which the machine was lifted and being held made it difficult for the technician to place the machine on top of the work bench which was too high for the technician to reach at that position by himself. The technician tried to reposition himself which resulted in him suffering temporary muscle pain in his back.
1) The Technician did not assess the task properly in relation to the weight of the equipment and the height of the work bench.
2) Did not request assistance, JSA indicates that this is a two person task
3) Did not use proper lifting techniques
WHAT TO TAKE AWAY FROM THIS:
1. Conduct a proper LMRA
2. Insure that adequate manpower is available prior to commencing task
3. Keep Focused and avoid over exertion – use proper lifting techniques
4. Always think of what could go wrong and the consequences for improper actions
AFD Management Services Ltd.